Wind for Schools Portal/Turbine Support
Wind for Schools Portal
The Wind for Schools OpenEI Wiki currently accepts data from Skystream wind turbines. You can obtain a FREE preprogrammed Raspberry Pi data router to read and send data to OpenEI from Ruth Douglas Miller at Kansas State University.
The following provides a brief overview for connecting a Skystream turbine to the OpenEI web portal. See the set-up guide for detailed instructions on setting up the data acquisition system.
The Wind for Schools data acquisition system looks like this:
Skystream turbine (uptower zigbee radio) > downtower zigbee radio > Raspberry Pi > Internet > OpenEI
The following is an overview of the process you will go through:
- Configure and connect Zigbee radio, Raspberry Pi, and SD card.
- Create webpage on OpenEI.
- Watch your data!
Here is a list of items and resources you will need prior to starting:
- Zigbee radio + connection cable (mini USB - USB)
- Raspberry pi + power cable (micro USB) + power supply
- Formatted Wind for Schools SD card
- See formatting instructions in set-up guide
- Ethernet cable
- Monitor, keyboard and mouse
- IT support
- Line-of sight between the zigbee radio and the Skystream turbine (the closer the better)
- Network connection for the Raspberry Pi
- Power for the Raspberry Pi
For complete set-up instructions, please download the set-up guide.
For more information about the Skyview interface and working with the Raspberry Pi, see the following two sections:
Skyview/Skystream documentation These resources require a Windows computer. Skyview is the manufacturer-provided wind turbine communication software. It is necessary for diagnostics but will not send data out
- Skyview Instruction Manual (Xzeres Wind)
- Instructions for loading Skyview Drivers on Win10 (Xzeres Wind)
- Instructions for loading Skyview Drivers on Win8 (Xzeres Wind)
- Skyview ScreenShots for Driver Installation on Win8 (Xzeres Wind)
- Skystream Inverter Fix (Xzeres wind)
Raspberry Pi SD card images
Go to the links below to download programs for Raspberry Pi computers serving as data acquisition systems for Skystream turbines. The Windinterface program collects turbine data and sends it to OpenEI. It does not collect turbine health diagnostics. Raspberry Pis are available for FREE from Ruth Douglas Miller.
- Latest Wind for Schools Disk Image for Multiple Turbines for Raspberry Pi
- Latest Wind for Schools Disk Image for Single Turbine for Raspberry Pi