Wind for Schools Portal/Turbine Support
Turbine Set-up and Support
Follow these instructions to connect your school's Skystream turbine to OpenEI for the first time. The overview below will help you prepare for setup. Use the detailed setup guide when completing the setup.
You Will Need
- Zigbee radio + connection cable (mini USB - USB)
- Raspberry Pi + power cable (micro USB) + power supply
- Formatted Wind for Schools SD card (see formatting instructions in set-up guide)
- Ethernet cable
- Monitor, keyboard, and mouse
- IT support
- Line of sight between the Zigbee radio and the Skystream turbine (the closer the better)
- Network connection for the Raspberry Pi
- Power for the Raspberry Pi.
See the setup guide for details on each of the items and resources you will need for setup.
Overview of Set-up Process
- Configure and connect Zigbee radio, Raspberry Pi, and SD card.
- Create webpage on OpenEI (see set-up guide)
- Watch your data!
Schematic illustrating the Wind for Schools-Skystream data acquisition system
Additional Setup Resources
Use these resources for help with the Skyview interface and working with the Raspberry Pi.
Skyview is the manufacturer-provided wind turbine communication software. It is necessary for diagnostics but will not send data.
These resources require a Windows computer.
- Skyview Instruction Manual (Xzeres Wind)
- Instructions for loading Skyview Drivers on Win10 (Xzeres Wind)
- Instructions for loading Skyview Drivers on Win8 (Xzeres Wind)
- Skyview ScreenShots for Driver Installation on Win8 (Xzeres Wind)
- Skystream Inverter Fix (Xzeres wind)
Raspberry Pi SD card images
Use the links below to download programs for Raspberry Pi computers serving as data acquisition systems for Skystream turbines.
- Latest Wind for Schools Disk Image for Multiple Turbines for Raspberry Pi
- Latest Wind for Schools Disk Image for Single Turbine for Raspberry Pi
Getting Started With a New Project
To get started with a new school wind turbine project and learn best practices for engaging students, teachers, administrators, and the community with wind turbine projects, go here:
Get started with a new project!