RAPID/BulkTransmission/Arizona/Water Quality

From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Arizona Bulk Transmission Water Quality Assessment(14-AZ)

Developers may be required to obtain several permits related to water quality issues, including National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)/Arizona Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (AZPDES) permitting and Section 401 water quality certification.

Developers must comply with National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System requirements if their project will discharge pollutants into the waters of the United States. Arizona has been granted authority by the Environmental Protection Agency to administer the NPDES program within the state. Facilities that discharge pollutants from a point source into waters of the United States, must seek coverage under an AZPDES Permit. The most common point source regulated is stormwater runoff from construction activities and operators of a construction site would seek coverage under the AZPDES General Construction Permit (GCP) (AZG2013-001). To obtain authorization under GCP AZG2013-001, the operator (i.e., the owner, general contractor, individual contractor or a combination there of) of a construction site must submit a Notice of Intent (NOI) by mail or online. The ‘operator’ must also develop and implement a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) that satisfies the conditions of the GCP. Typically the SWPPP does not need to be submitted with the NOI unless the site is located within ¼ mile of an impaired water or Outstanding Arizona Waters (OAW). If a SWPPP is submitted with the NOI the ADEQ will notify the applicant within 30 calendar days after receiving the SWPPP if the SWPPP needs revisions or if permit coverage is granted or denied.

Developers requiring a Section 404 (Dredge and Fill Permit), which covers impacts to wetlands and other waters of the United States and is administered by the US Army Corps of Engineers, are required to obtain a Section 401 (Water Quality Certification) from the state of Arizona. In Arizona, state water quality certification is outlined in ARS 49-202(B)-(K) and is administered by the ADEQ. ADEQ must ensure that the project will comply with surface water quality standards and applicable water quality improvement plans, and will not adversely impact impaired waters. If a project will result in the discharge to an Outstanding Arizona Water (OAW) or Impaired Water, then the ADEQ may require an Individual Certification with additional conditions. For individual permits, ADEQ will issue a draft 401 Certification for public notice and comment which typically lasts 30 days. 401 Certification Applications are available on the ADEQ website.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.