401 Certification (Vermont)

From Open Energy Information

Last modified on February 12, 2015.

EZFeed Policy

Place Vermont

Applies to States or Provinces Vermont
Name 401 Certification (Vermont)
Policy Category Other Policy
Policy Type Environmental Regulations
Affected Technologies Biomass/Biogas, Coal with CCS, Geothermal Electric, Hydroelectric, Hydroelectric (Small), Nuclear
Active Policy Yes
Implementing Sector State/Province

Primary Website http://www.watershedmanagement.vt.gov/permits/htm/pm_401.htm

Last Review 2014-05-23
Last Substantive Modification
to Summary


A 401 Certification is required for any project that triggers a federal permit or license. Examples include licenses from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and any project which requires a permit from the Army Corps of Engineers for dredging or placement of fill in federally protected waters or wetlands. Hydroelectric projects subject to FERC licensing and re-licensing require a 401. Projects must comply with the Clean Water Act, the Vermont Water Quality Standards and any other requirements of state law.

Policy Contact

Contact Name Ron Shems
Department Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
Division Water Resources Panel

Place Montpelier
Phone 802-828-5440

Email ron.shems@state.vt.us
Website http://www.nrb.state.vt.us/wrp/index.htm

Authorities (Please contact the if there are any file problems.)

Authority 1: 10 V.S.A. Chapter 41