Transmission Environmental Justice
Present, Potentially Affected
- Boardman to Hemingway (Environmental Impact Statement and Land Use Plan Amendments for the Boardman to Hemingway Transmission Line Project)
- DOI-BLM-CA-ES-2007-017-3200 (Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Truckhaven Geothermal Leasing Area)
- DOI-BLM-NV-W010–2012–0005–EA (EA for Development Drilling at New York Canyon Geothermal Utilization and Interconnect Project for Geothermal/Power Plant, Geothermal/Transmission, Geothermal/Well Field)
- EA-NV-030-07-006 (EA for Exploration Drilling at Carson Lake Corral Geothermal Area for Geothermal/Well Field)
- Sun Valley to Morgan Transmission Line (Environmental Impact Statement for the Sun Valley to Morgan Transmission Line Project)
- Transwest Express (Transwest Express Transmission Project Environmental Impact Statement)
- Vantage Pomona Heights (Environmental Impact Statement for the Vanage to Pomona Heights 230kV Transmission Line Project)
- West-wide Energy Corridors (West-wide Energy Corridor Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement)
The EPA defines Environmental Justice as, “The fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income with the respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations and policies.” The EPA strives to promote equality in the decision-making process so every individual can be protected from environmental and health hazards caused by land development and industries. Executive Order 12898 outlines best practices to businesses and rights to all peoples of the US. Section 6-606 explicitly includes Native American tribes and indigenous peoples.
Environmental Justice Impacts & Mitigation
Environmental justice infringement is when a company knows the community’s values and takes advantage of them to risks human health. Language barriers, lack of education, representation, and public services inhibit community involvement, however breaking these down will result in higher support for the project. Comply with NEPA standards to hold at least one public hearing and evaluate project related health risks to decrease environmental justice impacts.