Requirements for Wind Development (Oklahoma)
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
Rules Regulations Policies Program
|Name||Requirements for Wind Development|
|Incentive Type||Solar/Wind Permitting Standards|
|Applicable Sector||Commercial, Construction, Industrial, Installer/Contractor, Utility|
|Energy Category|| Renewable Energy Incentive Programs
|Date added to DSIRE||2010-11-16|
|Last DSIRE Review|| 2012-10-01
In 2010, Oklahoma passed HB 2973, known as The Oklahoma Wind Energy Development Act. The bill becomes effective January 1, 2011. The Act provides sets rules for owners of wind energy facilities related to decommissioning, payments, and insurance.
- Within one year of abandonment of a project, equipment from wind energy facilities must be removed and the land must be returned to its condition prior to the facility construction, except for roads.
- After 15 years of operation, wind energy facility owners must file an estimate of the decommissioning costs as well as proof of financial security to cover the cost of the decommission.
- For any wind energy facility that makes payments to the landowner dependent upon the amount of electricity produced, facility owners are required to provide an explanation of the payment calculation to the landowner, allow for landowners to confirm the accuracy of payments and inspect records, and make records available to the state of Oklahoma.
- Wind energy facilities must have commercial general liability insurance, which must name the landowner as an insured party. Proof of such insurance must be provided to the landowner before construction begins.
In addition to the Wind Energy Development Act, Oklahoma also passed SB 1787, which states that access to the airspace is tied to the ownership of the land; any wind or solar leasing arrangements associated with the airspace must be made with the landowner that owns the land below the air.
|Division||Oklahoma Corporation Commission|
|Address||PO Box 52000|
|Place||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma|
|Phone|| (405) 521-2211
Authorities (Please contact the if there are any file problems.)
|Authority 1:||House Bill 2973|
|Date Enacted|| 2010-05-28
|Authority 2:||17 Okl. St. § 160.11-19|
|Date Effective|| 2011-01-01
- Incentive and policy data are reviewed and approved by the N.C. Solar Center's DSIRE project staff.