Renewable Energy Tax Credit (Personal) (Nebraska)
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
Financial Incentive Program
|Name||Renewable Energy Tax Credit (Personal)|
|Incentive Type||Personal Tax Credit|
|Eligible Technologies||Solar Thermal Electric, Photovoltaics, Landfill Gas, Wind, Hydroelectric, Geothermal Electric, Fuel Cells, Anaerobic Digestion, Fuel Cells using Renewable Fuels|
|Energy Category||Renewable Energy Incentive Programs|
|Amount|| Credits are available for a 10-year period:|
0.00075/kWh for electricity generated through 9/30/2007;
|Start Date|| 2006-07-14
|Program Budget|| $50,000
|Program Administrator|| Nebraska Department of Revenue
|References||DSIREDatabase of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency|
Nebraska offers a production-based tax credit to any producer of electricity generated by wind, solar, geothermal, hydropower, fuel cells, or methane gas. To qualify a system must be placed into service on or after July 14, 2006. The credit allowed may be used to reduce the producer’s Nebraska income tax liability or to obtain a refund of state sales and use taxes paid by the producer.
Tax Credit Amount
The value of the credit is based on the amount of electricity produced, and the rate varies based on the year in which the electricity is generated according to the following schedule:
- $0.00075 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of electricity generated after July 14, 2006, but before October 1, 2007;
- $0.001 per kWh for electricity generated on or after October 1, 2007, and before January 1, 2010;
- $0.00075 per kWh for electricity generated on or after January 1, 2010, and before January 1, 2013; and
- $0.0005 per kWh for electricity generated on or after January 1, 2013.
The credit may be earned for 10 years after the date that the facility is placed in operation on or after July 14, 2006.
The total amount of renewable energy tax credits that may be used by all taxpayers is limited to $50,000 without additional authorization from the Nebraska Legislature.
This credit may not be claimed by a producer who receives a sales tax exemption for community-based energy development projects.
|Contact Name||Taxpayer Assistance|
|Department||Nebraska Department of Revenue|
|Address||Nebraska State Office Building|
|Address 2||301 Centennial Mall South|
|Phone 2|| (402) 471-5729
Authorities (Please contact the if there are any file problems.)
|Authority 1:||R.R.S. Neb. § 77-27, 235|
|Date Effective||7/14/2006 (amendments effective 10/01/2011)|
|Date Enacted|| 2006-04-11
- Incentive and policy data are reviewed and approved by the N.C. Solar Center's DSIRE project staff.
- "Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency" Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "DSIRE" defined multiple times with different content