From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Roadmap

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Washington Water Well Notice of Intent for New Well (19-WA-e)

A developer seeking to use groundwater for an activity may need to drill a new well to access the groundwater. When a developer needs to drill a new well, the developer must complete the Notice of Intent (NOI) to Drill a Well form and submit the form to the Washington State Department of Ecology (WSDE) under RCW 18.104.048 and WAC 173-160-151. The NOI process does not result in a permit or certificate for a water right nor permission or approval to use water from the well. The NOI process is simply to inform the WDE of the construction and location of a new well. The developer must obtain access to the groundwater through either the water permit/certificate system or a groundwater exemption to the permit/certificate system.

Water Well Notice of Intent for New Well Process

The developer must submit the Notice of Intent to Construct a Water Well form found at Wells: Notice of Intent Forms at least 72 hours prior to the construction of a new well (RCW 18.104.048). Under WAC 173-160-151 the Notice of Intent contains the following information:

  • Well owner name;
  • Well location (street address, county name, ¼, ¼ section, township, range, and tax parcel number);
  • Proposed use (if the intended withdrawal requires a water right, the permit or certificate must be attached to the NOI);
  • Approximate start and completion dates;
  • Contractor registration number;
  • Operator/trainee name and license number; and
  • Drilling company name.

The developer must also pay a fee for the well as stated in further detail in WAC 173-160-151. A new NOI and fee is required for all follow-up construction after the drilling equipment has left the drill site.

19-WA-e.2 – Construct Water Well

The developer must hire a Washington licensed well driller to complete the drilling and construction of the well. A list of licensed well drillers can be found on the Wells: Licensing webpage. The well driller must construct the well in accordance with WAC Chapter 173-160 “Minimum Standards for Construction and Maintenance of Wells.”

19-WA-e.3 – Water Well Report

After the licensed well driller constructs the well, the well driller will complete and the developer will submit the Water Well Report (well log) on the form provided by the WSDE. The developer must submit the Water Well Report to the WSDE within 30 days after constructing the well. The Water Well Report form includes detailed instructions for how to complete the form.

Add to Project

Contact Information

Edit Washington State Department of Ecology
Water Rights and Well Issues Contact 360.407.6094 Visit Website

Edit Washington State Department of Ecology
Water Rights and Well Issues Contact #2 360.407.7727 Visit Website