From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Hydropower‎ | Wisconsin

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Wisconsin Hydropower Transmission & Interconnection(8-WI)

In Wisconsin, a developer may need to obtain either a Certificate of Authority or a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from the Wisconsin Public Service Commission to construct a new electric transmission facility. WPSC – Application Filing Requirements for Transmission Line Projects, at p.1.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Narrow your results (by hydropower project type)


Permitting at a Glance

Public Utility Certificate: Public utilities may need a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity.
Certificate Agency: Wisconsin Public Service Commission
Certificate Threshold: To construct a large generation facility with a capacity of 100 MW or more and/or high-voltage transmission lines with a capacity greater than 100 kV. 196 Wis. Stat.§ 196.491.
Regulated Entity Definition: A "public utility is defined as "every corporation, company, individual association...town, village, or city that may own, operate, manage or control...all or any part of a plant or equipment within the state, for the production, transmission, delivery of...power either directly or indirectly to or for the public." 196 Wis. Stat. § 196.01(5)(a)-(b).
Interconnection Request: Wisconsin does not currently have a state specific interconnection request process.