RAPID/Hydropower/Vermont/Water Access & Rights

From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Hydropower‎ | Vermont

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Vermont Hydropower Water Access & Water Rights(19-VT)

In Vermont, a hydropower developer may need a Stream Alteration Permit, from the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (ANR), for run-of-river projects or other activities that take place in or along a stream that change, alter or modify a perennial stream. A developer may also need a Lake Encroachment Permit, from ANR, for projects that encroach upon public lakes and ponds. In addition, a developer must submit a Groundwater Withdrawal Report to the Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division (DWGPD) for a pump storage project or other project activities that “withdrawals more than 20,000 gallons of groundwater a day.” Groundwater Reporting, 10 V.S.A. § 1417(a).

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Water Right Agency: Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation
Water Right Classification: Riparian Rights
Is a Water Right Required for the Project? No, but a developer may need to obtain a Lake Encroachment Permit or a Stream Alteration Permit from the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation.

Contact Information

No contacts have been added

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources