RAPID/Hydropower/Louisiana/Water Quality

From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Hydropower‎ | Louisiana

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Louisiana Hydropower Water Quality Assessment(14-LA)

In Louisiana, a hydropower developer may need a Section 401 Water Quality Certification from the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality for Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (“FERC”) licensed projects that may discharge dredged or fill material into a water of the United States, including wetlands.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

401 Water Quality Certification: A project subject to federal license or permit (e.g., Clean Water Act 404 permit, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission license, etc.), may need a 401 Water Quality Certification or waiver if the project may result in any discharge into navigable waters of the United States. L.R.S. § 30:2074(A)(3); Louisiana – La. Admin. Code §§ 33:IX.1501 et seq., Water Quality Certification Procedures.
401 Certification Agency: Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality; Water Permits Division