RAPID/Hydropower/Federal/Power Plant

From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Hydropower‎ | Federal

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Federal Hydropower Facilility Licensing, Certification, Safety, & Regulation(7-FD)

A hydropower developer may need a preliminary permit; a FERC license, exemption, or qualifying conduit hydropower facility authorization; a Certification as a Qualifying Facility; and/or an Exempt Wholesale Generator Certification from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). Certain federal agencies—such as the Bureau of Indian Affairs, the Bureau of Reclamation, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, NOAA Fisheries, the National Park Service, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and/or the U.S. Forest Service may have the authority to issue conditions and/or recommendations for the FERC license or exemption. The developer may also need to obtain a Section 408 Authorization from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) if the hydropower project will use or alter a USACE project.

More Information

Determine Which Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Contact Information

Edit Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Regional Office Hydropower Contacts

Visit Website

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources