RAPID/Hydropower/Federal/Land Access

From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Hydropower‎ | Federal

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Federal Hydropower Land Access(3-FD)

A hydropower developer seeking to construct a hydropower project on Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) facilities may need a Lease of Power Privilege from the BOR, if the project will include a BOR dam or BOR conduit authorized for federal power development. If the BOR facilities are not authorized for federal power development, the developer may need a license or exemption from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), instead of a Lease of Power Privilege. The developer of a pumped storage project that incorporates a BOR reservoir outside of the FERC project boundary may need to obtain both a Lease of Power Privilege and a FERC license or exemption.

A hydropower developer may also need a Special Use Authorization, a Right-of-Way, or a lease from the appropriate federal land management agency—such as the U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, or the Bureau of Reclamation—in order to access federal lands.

More Information

Determine Which Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Contact Information

Edit Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Regional Office Hydropower Contacts

Visit Website

Edit BLM
Division of Lands, Realty, and Cadastral Survey Directory

Visit Website

Edit BLM
Resource Advisory Councils

Visit Website

Forest Service Organizational Directory

Visit Website

Edit Bureau of Indian Affairs
General Contact

Visit Website

Edit Bureau of Reclamation
Hydropower Program: Power Resources Office Directory

Visit Website

Edit National Park Service
Hydropower Licensing Contacts

Visit Website

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources