RAPID/Hydropower/Alaska/Water Quality

From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Hydropower‎ | Alaska

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Alaska Hydropower Water Quality Assessment(14-AK)

In Alaska, a hydropower developer may need a Section 401 Water Quality Certification from the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation for Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licensed projects or projects that require approval from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers that may discharge dredged or fill material into a water of the United States, including wetlands. Alaska may also require a 401 Water Quality Certification or waiver for FERC exempted hydropower projects pursuant to the State’s 30(c) power under the Federal Power Act. A developer may also participate in Alaska’s Nonpoint Source Pollution Program to implement best management practices and reduce nonpoint pollution into a watershed.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Narrow your results (by hydropower project type)


Permitting at a Glance

401 Water Quality Certification: A project subject to federal license or permit (e.g., Clean Water Act 404 permit, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission license, etc.), may need a 401 Water Quality Certification or waiver if the project may result in any discharge into navigable waters of the United States. 18 AAC 15.180.
401 Certification Agency: Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation