From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Geothermal‎ | Idaho

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Idaho Geothermal Waste & Hazardous Material Assessment(18-ID)

Developers may be required to obtain several Waste and Hazardous Material permits and authorizations during the course of their project. Developers may be required to obtain an Underground Storage Tank Permit, a Hazardous Waste Permit, a Wastewater Pretreatment Permit, and/or a Solid Waste Management Facilities approval.

Developers must notify the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) prior to the installation of a new underground storage tank system and 24 hours before installing a replacement system. The notice must include whether the new or replacement installation is within one thousand feet of an existing public water system or potable drinking well.

Developers must obtain a Hazardous Waste Permit from the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) if their project involves the treatment, storage, disposal and/or transport of hazardous wastes. Developers must host a public pre-application meeting to solicit questions and comments about the project. 40 CFR 124.31. Developers must also be able to demonstrate insurance coverage that would protect the community from incurring clean-up costs in the event of the developer’s insolvency. Developers must submit an application, bond, and associated documents to the DEQ for review. Following review, the DEQ will develop a draft permit, publish notice, and allow for comment. Developers may be required to participate in a public hearing.

If the developer’s project requires disposal of wastewater into a municipal sewer system, then the developer should consult with local entities to determine whether a Wastewater Pretreatment Permit is necessary. If wastewater is not discharged into a municipal sewer system, the nonpoint source and NPDES Permit inquiries are sufficient.

Developers must obtain certification and approval from the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) if their project involves solid waste management facilities. Idaho considered transfer stations, composting operations, incinerators and landfills solid waste management facilities for purposes of this approval. “Solid waste” is “any garbage or refuse, sludge from a wastewater treatment plant, water supply treatment plant, or air pollution control facility and other discarded material including solid, liquid, semi-solid, or contained gaseous material resulting from industrial, commercial, mining, and agricultural operations and from community activities.” IDAPA If the facility has less than 300 cubic yards of solid waste at any time, then no certification is required. Developers must submit a Solid Waste Siting License Application, license fee, and any associated documents to DEQ for review. Following review, DEQ will issue a Solid Waste Siting License to the developer for the facility. Developers will be required to comply with waste monitoring and measuring requirements.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Contact Information

No contacts have been added

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources