From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Geothermal‎ | Hawaii

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Hawaii Geothermal Waste & Hazardous Material Assessment(18-HI)

Developers proposing to install and operate an underground storage tank or system must obtain an Underground Storage Tank (UST) Permit from the Hawaii Department of Health Solid and Hazardous Waste Branch (SHWB). UST Permits are regulated under H.A.R. 11-281. Upon issuance of a UST Permit, the developer must install the UST or system within one year, and the permit is valid for a term of five years. Upon installation, the developer must notify SHWB.

Owners and operators of hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal (TSD) facilities must obtain TSD permits as required by both H.A.R. 11-261 and 40 C.F.R. 270. The State of Hawaii regulates permitting of TSD facilities through the Department of Health Solid and Hazardous Waste Branch (SHWB). For treatment facilities, which are facilities that treat generated hazardous wastes onsite and then ship the waste off site, owners and operators must obtain a Generator Treatment Permit. TSD facility owners and operators must also obtain approval of RCRA Hazardous Waste Permits Part A (for site identification) and Part B (for narrative description). RCRA permits are subject to approval by the SHWB. Owners and operators of TSD facilities must pay annual operation fees.

Developers seeking to construct a wastewater treatment facility must obtain an Individual Wastewater Management (IWM) Permit from the Hawaii Department of Health Clean Water Branch (CWB). IWM Permits are regulated under H.A.R. 11-62 and H.R.S. 342D. If the treatment facility will discharge water pollution in excess of applicable standards, the developer must also initiate the Variance from Pollution Control process. If the wastewater sludge will be treated for land application and NPDES permit must be obtained and if the proposed treatment works discharges into an underground injection well a UIC permit must be obtained.

Developers must submit a Chemical Inventory Report to the Department of Health if a facility will store, use, or manufacture any hazardous substance that is equal to or exceeds reporting thresholds established by the Hawaii Chemical Inventory Form. The submission process is regulated under H.R.S. 128E.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.