RAPID/BulkTransmission/Virginia/Land Access

From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Virginia Bulk Transmission Land Access(3-VA)

In Virginia, a bulk transmission developer may need approval from the state land management agency with jurisdiction over the proposed project site and the Virginia Department of General Services to access state-owned lands. A developer may also need a Districtwide Permit and/or a single use Utility Installations Permit from the Virginia Department of Transportation for projects that require construction and maintenance of new utility facilities within a state highway right-of-way.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Virginia Federal

State Land Right-of-Way: Public utility companies or public service corporations may need a State Land Right-of-Way Easement over state property for the construction of any wires, conduits, and supports for the transmission of electricity. Va. Code Ann. § 2.2-1151.
State Land Right-of-Way Agency: State agency with jurisdiction
State Highway Right-of-Way: Utilities may need a Districtwide Permit, a Single Use Utility Installations Permit and/or a Permit Agreement to perform “work of any nature” on real property owned, controlled, or under the jurisdiction of the Virginia Department of Transportation. tit. 24 Va. Admin. Code 30-151-20 – 30-151-30. A utility is defined as “privately, publicly or cooperatively owned line, facility, or system for producing, transmitting, or distributing…electricity…” tit. 24 Va. Admin. Code 30-151-10
State Highway Right-of-Way Agency: Virginia Department of Transportation
Eminent Domain: A public utility may only take land for construction of utility facilities by eminent domain when the public utility and the landowner cannot agree to the terms of a land contract. Va. Code Ann. § 56-260.