From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Vermont Bulk Transmission Siting & Regulation(8-VT)

In Vermont, a bulk transmission developer may need to obtain a Certificate of Public Good from the Vermont Public Utility Commission.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Vermont Federal

Transmission Siting: Vermont does not have a comprehensive transmission siting process.
Preemptive Authority: The Vermont Public Utility Commission has regulatory and preemptive authority over transmission line construction in the state.
Regulated Entity Definition: A "company" is defined as individuals, partnerships, associations, corporations, and municipalities, owning or conducting any public service business or property. This definition also includes electric cooperatives. Vt. Stat. Ann. § 30.201(a).
Public Utility Certificate Threshold: Companies may need a Certificate of Public Good from the Vermont Public Utility Commission for site preparation for or to construct of electric transmission facility at any voltage. Vt. Stat. Ann. § 30.248(a)(2)(A).
Processing Timeframe: There is no statutorily defined time frame.