RAPID/BulkTransmission/Vermont/Land Access

From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Vermont Bulk Transmission Land Access(3-VT)

In Vermont, a bulk transmission developer may need to obtain a Utility Right-of-Way from the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources if the proposed project will be located in, on, or above state owned real property. A developer may also need a Highway Right-of-Way Permit from the Vermont Agency of Transportation.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Vermont Federal

State Land Right-of-Way: Utilities may need a Utility Right-of-Way to authorize the use of a corridor across state lands for utility lines which include electric transmission lines. Vermont Agency of Natural Resources Policy: Use of State Lands.
State Land Right-of-Way Agency: Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
State Highway Right-of-Way: Any person may need a State Highway Access and Work Permit to dig or excavate a trench for to install wires, including electrical wires, in a public highway right-of-way. VT. Stat. Ann. § 19.1111(a)(1), (c)(1).
State Highway Right-of-Way Agency: Vermont Agency of Transportation
Eminent Domain: A company may exercise the power of eminent domain for construction of electric transmission facilities if the Vermont Public Utility Commission grants the company a certificate allowing the use of eminent domain. VT. Stat. Ann. § 248).