RAPID/BulkTransmission/Oregon/Water Quality

From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Oregon Bulk Transmission Water Quality Assessment(14-OR)

Developers may be required to obtain several permits related to water quality issues, including permits for nonpoint source pollution, National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting, and Section 401 water quality certification.

Developers must contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality to ensure compliance with Oregon’s Nonpoint Source Pollution Control program to ensure Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) standards for impaired waters are not exceeded. Projects with surface runoff might result in violation of TMDL standards and are subject to the Nonpoint Source Pollution Control program.

If a developer receives a federal license or permit to conduct an activity that may result in a discharge into the waters of the United States, which includes wetlands, the developer must obtain a Section 401 Water Quality Certification (WCQ) Permit from the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). WCQ permits are required under Section 401 of the Clean Water Act, 33 U.S.C. 1251, and O.A.R. 340-048. No permit is required if the project does not require a federal license or permit, or will not discharge pollutants into waters of the United States, including wetlands. WCQ Permit Applications are subject to approval by the DEQ.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.