From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Ontario Bulk Transmission Siting & Regulation(8-ON)

In Ontario, a bulk transmission developer may need a transmission license from the Ontario Energy Board to own or operate a transmission system. In Ontario, a developer may need a Connection Assessment and Approval from the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) "to establish or modify a connection to the IESO-controlled grid, including connecting a new or modified transmission facility." IESO Market Manual 2: Market Administration, Part 2.10: Connection and Assessment Approval, p. 3. In Ontario, a developer may need an Order Granting Leave to Construct from the Ontario Energy Board to construct an electricity transmission line carrying more than 50 kilovolts (kV) that is longer than 2 kilometers.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.