From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Oklahoma Bulk Transmission Siting & Regulation(8-OK)

In Oklahoma, a bulk transmission developer may need authority to operate as a Transmission-Only Utility from Oklahoma Corporation Commission in order to build, construct, own, operate, control, manage or maintain a transmission line of 60 kilovolts or more. OK. Admin. Code §165:35-43-2 et seq.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Oklahoma Federal

Transmission Siting: Oklahoma does not have a state comprehensive siting process for transmission project development.
Preemptive Authority: The Oklahoma Corporation Commission has primary authority over transmission-only utilities
Regulated Entity Definition: A transmission only utility means "an entity that builds, constructs, owns, operates, controls, manages, or maintains transmission lines within the State of Oklahoma and provides no retail service subject to the rate jurisdiction..." OK. Admin. Code §165:35-43-2 et seq.
Public Utility Certificate Threshold: Transmission only utilities may need approval to operate from the Oklahoma Corporation Commission to build, construct, own, operate, control, manage, or maintain transmission lines of 60 kilovolts or more. OK. Admin. Code §165:35-43-2 et seq.
Processing Timeframe: There is no statutorily mandated time frame for approval.