RAPID/BulkTransmission/New York/Land Access

From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

New York Bulk Transmission Land Access(3-NY)

In New York, a bulk transmission developer may need to obtain a right-of-way easement from the appropriate state agency if the proposed project will be located in, on, or above state owned real property; an Easement to Use State Lands Under Water from the New York State Office of General Services for projects that are located in, on, or above state lands under water; as well as various state highway encroachment permits, including a State Highway Permit for Non-Utility Work, a State Highway Utility Work Permit, an Occupancy Permit, and/or a Work Permit from the New York State Thruway Authority.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

New York Federal

State Land Right-of-Way: Any person may need a State Land Easement or Easements to use state lands that are not appropriated for immediate use. New York Public Lands Law §3. Any person may also need an easement for any projects that will be located on or over state underwater lands. 9 CRR-NY 271-1.1.
State Land Right-of-Way Agency: New York State Office of General Services, state agency with jurisdiction
State Highway Right-of-Way: Utilities may need a Utility Work Permit to construct, maintain or adjust a utility facility within or on a state highway right-of-way. 17 CCR-NY § 131.16(a), Highway Utility Work Permit. Any person may also need an Occupancy Permit or Work Permit or a Non-Utility Work Permit for projects that use the Thruway or require temporary or permanent access to a state highway. New York State Thruway Authority - Occupancy and Work Permit Accommodation Guidelines, 17 CCR-NY § 125.2(g), Permits.
State Highway Right-of-Way Agency: New York State Department of Transportation, New York State Thruway Authority
Eminent Domain: Power authorities may exercise the power of eminent domain for the purpose of constructing and maintaining facilities within their respective service territories. N.Y. Public Authorities § 5.