RAPID/BulkTransmission/Maine/Land Access

From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Maine Bulk Transmission Land Access(3-ME)

In Maine, a bulk transmission developer may need to obtain permission from the Maine Public Utilities Commission and an easement from the appropriate state agency if the proposed project will be located in, on, or above state owned real property. A developer may also need a number of state highway encroachment permits. A developer may need a State Highway Utility Permit, and/or a State Highway Opening Permit from the Maine Department of Transportation.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Maine Federal

State Land Right-of-Way: Any person may need a State Land Easement and/or a Utility Line Permit to install utility services on state lands. Utility services are defined as “facilities necessary for the transmission of electricity…” Me. Rev. Stat. tit. 33, § 458(1)(A)-(B).
State Land Right-of-Way Agency: State agency with jurisdiction, Maine Public Utilities Commission
State Highway Right-of-Way: Utilities may need a State Highway Utility Location Permit to construct facilities upon and along state highways. A utility may also need a State Highway Opening Permit for “intentional displacement of earth, rock, or pavement surface within the limits of the Highway.” 17-229-210 Me. Code R. § (6)(1).
State Highway Right-of-Way Agency: Maine Department of Transportation
Eminent Domain: Generally, with the approval of the Maine Public Utilities Commission, a project developer may take and hold land by eminent domain to site transmission lines that are designed to carry voltages of 5 kV or more. Me. Rev. Stat. Ann. tit. 35-A, § 3136.