RAPID/BulkTransmission/Louisiana/Land Access

From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Louisiana Bulk Transmission Land Access(3-LA)

In Louisiana, a developer may need a State Land Lease or a State Land Right-of-Way from the relevant state agency with jurisdiction to develop a project on state-owned lands. A developer may also need a state Highway Right-of-Way Permit from the Louisiana Department of Transportation & Development for projects that encroach on a state highway right-of-way.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Louisiana Federal

State Land Right-of-Way: Any individual or corporation may need a State Land Lease, State Land Right-of-Way, or a State Coastal Land Use Permit to access or use state lands. La. Stat. Ann §§ 41:1211, La. Stat. Ann § 41:1171, La. Stat. Ann § 41:1171, La. Stat. Ann. § 49:214.30(A).
State Land Right-of-Way Agency: Louisiana State Land Office, Louisiana Division of Administration, Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, state agency with jurisdiction
State Highway Right-of-Way: Any person may need a State Highway Right-of-Way Utility Permit to use and occupy a state highway right-of-way for the purpose of building underground or overhead cables and pipes. La. Stat. Ann. § 48:381(A).
State Highway Right-of-Way Agency: Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development
Eminent Domain: Corporations formed for the purpose of transmitting or distributing electricity may exercise the power of eminent domain. Louisiana – La. Stat. Ann. § 19:2, Expropriation by State or Certain Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, or Other Legal Entities (2017).