RAPID/BulkTransmission/Indiana/Land Access

From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Indiana Bulk Transmission Land Access(3-IN)

A bulk transmission developer must obtain a state land easement from either the Indiana Department of Administration, Indiana Department of Natural Resources, or other appropriate agency in control of the land to construct transmission lines across state land. A developer may also need a Highway Right-of-Way Permit from the Indiana Department of Transportation to construct or maintain a transmission line within a state highway right-of-way.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Indiana Federal

State Land Right-of-Way: Utilities and other persons may need an easement in order to use state land. IDOA Easement Policy Statement, IDNR Easement Policy Statement.
State Land Right-of-Way Agency: Indiana Department of Administration, Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
State Highway Right-of-Way: Utilities may need a Highway Right-of-Way Permit to occupy a state highway right-of-way. A utility is defined as the owner of a facility. A facility is defined as “any privately, municipally, publicly or cooperatively owned systems for supplying…power, light, heat, electricity…directly or indirectly to the public.” INDOT Utility Accommodation Policy.
State Highway Right-of-Way Agency: Indiana Department of Transportation
Eminent Domain: Public utilities may exercise eminent domain power to construct transmission lines on private property. A public utility is defined as “a public utility, municipally owned utility, cooperatively owned utility…” Indiana - Ind. Code §§ 32-24 et seq., Eminent Domain.