From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Connecticut Bulk Transmission Siting & Regulation(8-CT)

In Connecticut, a bulk transmission developer should consult local zoning regulations during the transmission siting process. A developer may need a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility and Public Need from the Connecticut Siting Council for certain interconnection and transmission projects.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Connecticut Federal

Transmission Siting: Any person may need a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility and Public Need.
Transmission Siting Agency: Connecticut Siting Council
Transmission Siting Threshold: To construct a transmission facility of 69 kV or more. C.G.S. §16-50k(a).
Transmission Siting Act: Connecticut – Conn. Gen. Stat. §§ 16-50 et seq., Public Utility Environmental Standards Act
Preemptive Authority: The Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority regulates public utilities alongside the Connecticut Siting Council.
Public Utility Certificate Threshold: Connecticut does not require other approval from the public utility commission for transmission projects.
Processing Timeframe: There is no statutorily mandated timeframe for approval.