From Open Energy Information
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit
My Projects

Canada Bulk Transmission Siting & Regulation(8-CAN)

In Canada, a bulk transmission developer may need siting and regulatory approval from federal, provincial, territorial and/or local government to construct and operate a bulk transmission project. A developer may need an International Power Line Approval, or a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity and/or an International Power Line Permit from NEB to construct and operate an international transmission line. Additionally, a bulk transmission developer may need an Export Authorization from NEB for cross-border exports of electricity from a bulk transmission project. At this time NEB is proposing new regulations that will impact the above-mentioned permit/approval processes therefore the RAPID Toolkit does not have content specific for these processes. The developer should contact NEB and review the Regulatory Side-by-Side – Governing Permitting of Cross-Border Electricity Transmission Between the United States and Canada Guidance for more information.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.