Marine & Hydrokinetic
(Redirected from Marine and Hydrokinetic)
Marine & Hydrokinetic Events
- IEA Ocean Energy Systems Webinar: Marine Renewable Energy Data and Information Sharing Join us for a webinar on the status of marine renewable energy data collection and availability, the benefits of data and information sharing internationally, promising methods of dissemination and quality control, and an opportunity to contribute to future data organization and sharing.
- Water Power Week 2018 Waterpower Week is comprised of three co-located conferences rolled into one: NHA’s Annual Conference, International Marine Renewable Energy Conference (IMREC), and Marine Energy Technology Symposium (METS).
- U.S. Department of Energy Water Power Events U.S. Department of Energy calendar with meetings, conferences, and webinars of interest to the marine and hydrokinetic technology community.
Marine & Hydrokinetic News
- U.S. Department of Energy Water Power News News stories about marine and hydrokinetic technologies from the U.S. Department of Energy, the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, the Water Power Program, and other federal agencies.
- U.S. Department of Energy Water Power Funding Opportunities Information about U.S. Department of Energy's Water Power Program Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs).
Marine & Hydrokinetic Databases
- Department of Energy—Hydrodynamic Testing Facilities Database provides data on a range of test capabilities within the United States.
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory—Tethys, Marine Environmental Impacts Knowledge Management System
- Marine & Hydrokinetic Technology Database Lists MHK industry, technology being developed, and illustrates project deployments around the world. Crowd sourced - update the database with your information today!
- Hydrodynamic Testing Facilities Database Provides data on a range of test capabilities within the United States, database funded by Department of Energy.
- MHK Data Repository providing access to data from DOE funded research.
- MHK Instrumentation and Sensor Database
- National Ocean Service—Data Explorer Geoportal provides centralized access to distributed geospatial data, tools, applications and services
- Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center provides access to current and ambient noise data in Puget Sound (WA)
- Wind & Water Materials and Structures Database The U.S. Department of Energy Wind and Water Power Technology Office has funded Sandia National Laboratories and its partner, Montana State University, to conduct extensive testing and analysis on wind turbine blades and materials for marine hydrokinetic (MHK) devices in support of the industry and research communities.
Marine & Hydrokinetic Tools
Open Source Codes
- CACTUS - Code for Axial and Cross-flow Turbine Simulation
- HARP_Opt - Code for airfoil and hydrofoil blade-design optimization
- WEC-Sim - Wave Energy Converter Simulation tool to assess energy capture and power performance
- MAP - Mooring Analysis Program
- PyTurbSim - Code for producing realistic turbulent inflow for turbine device simulation
- DOLfYN - Hydrokinetic turbine inflow measurement data processing and analysis tools
- Total tidal power calculation tools provide a consistent toolset for calculating total tidal power from tidal ellipse data
- JEDI Jobs and Economic Development Impacts Marine and Hydrokinetic Power Model (NREL)
Marine & Hydrokinetic Reports
University of Victoria, West Coast Wave Initiative, Scale Model WEC Testing
- Beatty PhD Dissertation, 1:25 scale self-reacting point absorber WEC testing with feedback controlled PTO emulator
Reference Model Project Reports and Documents
National Marine Renewable Energy Centers Publications
- Hawaii Center
- SNMREC Journals, Conferences, and Reports
- SNMREC Theses and Dissertations
- SNMREC Technical Notes
- NNMREC-UW Publications, Presentations, Reports, and Theses
- NNMREC-OSU Publications, Presentations, Reports, and Theses
MHK Cost Reduction Pathway White Papers
MHK LCOE Reporting Guidance and Cost Breakdown Structure
MHK Risk Assessment Framework
Department of Energy Reports:
- Water Power for a Clean Energy Future
- Department of Energy Marine and Hydrokinetic Projects
- Department of Energy Water Power Program Publications Library
MHK Tech Papers
- MHK Tech Papers Blog: The purpose of this blog is to aggregate and organize technical papers as they relate to the development of MHK technologies
Final Reports From Department of Energy Funded Projects:
- Advanced Energy Harvesting Control Schemes for Marine Renewable Energy Devices
- Atargis Energy Corporation: Cycloidal Wave Energy Converter
- Bayer MaterialScience: River Devices to Recover Energy with Advanced Materials
- Columbia Power Technologies: Benchmark Modeling of the Near-Field and Far-Field Wave Effects of Wave Energy Arrays
- Columbia Power Technologies: Direct Drive Wave Energy Buoy
- Concepts Eti d.b.a. NREC: Development of a Wave Energy - Responsive Self-Actuated Blade Articulation Mechanism for an OWC Turbine
- Dehlsen Associates, LLC: Aquantis Ocean Current Turbine Development Project Report
- Edgartown Tidal Energy Project: Environmental Effects of Sediment Transport Alteration and Impacts on Protected Species
- Electric Power Research Institute: Assessment and Mapping of the Riverine Hydrokinetic Resource in the Continental United States
- Electric Power Research Institute: Mapping and Assessment of the United States Ocean Wave Energy Resource
- Florida Atlantic University: National Open-ocean Energy Laboratory Final Technical Report
- Free Flow Energy, Inc: Submersible Generator for Marine Hydrokinetics
- Free Flow Energy: Submersible Generator for Marine Hydrokinetics
- Free Flow Power Corporation: Final Technical Report: The Water-to-Wire (W2W) Project
- Free Flow Power: The Water-to-Wire(W2W) Project
- Lockhead Martin: Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion Life Cycle Cost Assessment, Final Technical Report, 30 May 2012
- Lockheed Martin Corporation: OTEC Advanced Composite Cold Water Pipe - Final Technical Report
- Lockheed Martin Mission Systems and Sensors: Ocean Thermal Extractable Energy Visualization-Final Technical Report on Award DE-EE0002664. October 28, 2012
- Lockheed Martin MS2: OTEC Advanced Composite Cold Water Pipe
- M3 Wave Energy Systems, LLC: DMP: Simple, Scalable and Submerged
- Marine Hydrokinetic Energy Site Identification and Ranking Methodology Part I: Wave Energy
- Marine Hydrokinetic Energy Site Identification and Ranking Methodology Part II: Tidal Energy
- Maine Tidal Power Initiative: Environmental Impact Protocols For Tidal Power
- Makai Ocean Engineering: Modeling the Physical and Biochemical Influence of Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion Plant Discharges into their Adjacent Waters
- Missouri University of Science & Technology: Remote Monitoring of the Structural Health of Hydrokinetic Composite Turbine Blades
- Multnomah County: Multnomah County Hydrokinetic Feasibility Study - Final Feasibility Study Report
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory: Measuring Turbulence from Moored Acoustic Doppler Velocimeters: A Manual to Quantifying Inflow at Tidal Energy Sites
- Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center
- Northwest National Marine Energy Renewable Energy Center - Associated Appendices
- Northwest Energy Innovation: WET-NZ Multi-Mode Wave Energy Converter Advancement Project
- Northwest Energy Innovations: AWET-NZ Multi-Mode Wave Energy Converter Advancement Project
- Ocean Power Renewable Company: OCGen Module Mooring Project
- Ocean Power Technologies: Advanced, High Power, Next Scale, Wave Energy Conversion Device
- Ocean Power Technologies: Conceptual Design, Study and Analysis of Point Absorber Ocean Wave Energy Converters
- Ocean Power Technologies: Wave Power Demonstration Project at Reedsport, Oregon
- Ocean Renewable Power Company Alaska: Abrasion Testing of Critical Components of Hydrokinetic Devices
- Ocean Renewable Power Company Maine: TidGen Power System Commercialization Project
- OCEES International, Inc dba OTE Corporation: The Potential Impacts of OTEC Intakes on Aquatic Organisms at an OTEC Site under Development on Kauai, HI
- Optimal Control of a Surge-Mode WEC in Random Waves - NEW 4-19-17
- ORPC Alaska: Acoustic Monitoring of Beluga Whale Interactions with Cook Inlet Tidal Energy Project
- ORPC Maine: TidGen Power System Commercialization Project
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company: PG&E WaveConnect Program Final Report
- Princeton Power Systems: Marine High Voltage Power Conditioning and Transmission System with Integrated Storage Final Scientific Report
- Principle Power: WindWaveFloat Final Scientific Report
- Public Utility District No. 1 of Snohomish County: Puget Sound Development of Post‐Installation Monitoring Capabilities Final Technical Report
- Public Utility District No. 1 of Snohomish County: Puget Sound Tidal Energy In-Water Testing and Development Project Final Technical Report
- Re Vision Consulting: The Future Potential of Waver Power in the United States
- Resolute Marine Energy: Wave-Actuated Power Take-Off Device for Electricity Generation
- Science Applications International Corporation: International Standards Development for Marine and Hydrokinetic Renewable Energy - Final Report on Technical Status
- Scientific Solutions, Inc: Underwater Active Acoustic Monitoring Network For Marine and Hydrokinetic Energy Projects
- Scientific Solutions: Underwater Active Acoustic Monitoring Network for Marine And Hydrokinetic Energy Projects
- Semprus BioSciences: Environmentally Benign and Permanent Modifications to Prevent Biofouling on Marine and Hydrokinetic Devices
- Sound and Sea Technology: Final Technical Report Advanced Anchoring Technology
- Sunlight Photonics Inc.: Tidal Energy System for On-Shore Power Generation
- The Regents of the University of California: Active Flow Control on Bidirectional Rotors for Tidal MHK Applications
- Turner Hunt Ocean Renewable: THOR's Power Method for Hydrokinetic Devices
- University of California, Davis: Active Flow Control on Bidirectional Rotors for Tidal MHK Applications
- University of Maine: Maine Tidal Power Initiative: Environmental Impact Protocols For Tidal Power
- University of Massachusetts School of Marine Science and Technology SMAST: Marine Renewable Energy Center
- University of Washington: Tidal Energy Research
- US Synthetic Corporation: The Development of Open Water-lubricated Polycrystalline Diamond (PCD) Thrust Bearings for Use in Marine Hydrokinetic (MHK) Energy Machines
- Verdant Power, Inc.: Improved Structure and Fabrication of Large, High-Power KHPS Rotors - Final Scientific/Technical Report
- Verdant Power, Inc: Advancement of KHPS to DOE TRL 7/8' Project - Final Technical Report
- Vortex Hydro Energy: Advanced Integration of Power Take-Off in VIVACE Final Scientific/Technical Report
- Whitestone Power and Communications: Whitestone Poncelet RISEC Project Final Technical Report
Marine & Hydrokinetic Guidance
- MHK LCOE Reporting Guidance - Updated October 8, 2015 Guidance updated on October 8, 2015. Previous version (September 9,2014 - October 7, 2015) can be accessed here
- MHK System Cost Breakdown Structure (CBS) - Updated Aug 2014 MHK CBS updated August 2014.
- LCOE Reference Resource - Updated January 27, 2016 MHK LCOE Reference Resource updated on January 27, 2016. Previous versions (October 8, 2015 - January 27, 2016) can be accessed here and (2013 - October 7, 2015) can be accessed here
- LCOE Reporting Guidance Presentation with Example Case This presentation is supplementary to the above LCOE Reporting Guidance.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory Risk Register - A repository for current risk information that could influence project success based on the findings in the MHK Risk Management Framework Report.
- Topic Area 1 ACE Template - A template spreadsheet provided to help applicants of the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA): Marine and Hydrokinetic Technology Development and Advancement (Number: DE-FOA-0001663) Topic Area 1 calculate ACE “Average Climate Capture Width per Characteristic Capital Expenditure”, referred to as ACE, which is a benefit to cost ratio proxy for LCOE appropriate for evaluating early stage WEC designs.
Water Power Stakeholders
Information about the major stakeholders in the water power industry, such as name, web address, sector, and more.
Water Power Community
Provides the community with a method for engaging in conversation and providing feedback to questions about different water power topics of interest.