Agriculture, Forestry and Land-Use Working Group
A LEDS GP Working Group
The LEDS GP Agriculture, Forestry and Land Use (AFOLU) Working Group was first convened at the Asia LEDS Forum in 2013 and was jointly organized by USAID's supported Lowering Emissions in Asia's Forests (LEAF) program and the United States Forest Service (USFS).The AFOLU Working Group serves as a platform for engaging decision makers, practitioners, and researchers while working towards integrating low emissions development activities in the AFOLU sector.
The Working Group promotes and facilitates information, knowledge sharing and adoption for tools and solutions for climate-resilient, low-emission development across the agriculture, forestry and other land use sectors.
The WG’s overall, long-term objectives are to:
- Advance the WG so that it is sustainable and can function well
- Communicate among stakeholders in the AFOLU sector including regional-, national-, and subnational-decision makers, practitioners, private sectors, and researchers
- Identify tools that could help facilitate design and implementation of LEDS for AFOLU
- Identify solutions that could help facilitate design and implementation of LEDS for AFOLU
- Facilitate and enhance knowledge sharing between stakeholders in the AFOLU sectors in context of climate-resilient and low-emission development
- Establish expert linkages
2015 Working Group Activities
This section will be updated soon.
News & Events
The AFOLU WG Membership is open to interested organizations, government agencies and individuals. To become a member, download the membership form and register or email us at email@example.com
Asia LEDS Forum 2014
If you wish to download the materials or view the photos and video,visit the forum page at http://forum2014.asialeds.org/
- Regional Forum on Developing and Financing Low Emissions Development Strategies for the Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use Sector: Moving from Promise to Practice
July 7-9, 2015 Bangkok, Thailand
- Creating enabling environments to mobilize private investment for green growth and LED in the agriculture sector in Asia, in October 2015 in Ho Chi Minh City
- Global Landscape Forum: The Investment Case June, 10-11,2015, London (By Invitation)
- Global Landscape Forum 3 at COP Dec, 5-6, Paris (By Invitation)
Resources and Tools
The Decision Support Tool provides guidance on how and when to monitor and measure forest degradation, and how to incorporate forest degradation into the framework of a broader REDD+ measurement and monitoring plan. This document developed by Winrock International’s Ecosystem Services Unit and the United States Forest Service as part of the technical guidance series that has been developed by Winrock International’s Ecosystem Services Unit for the USAID Lowering Emissions in Asia’s Forests Program.
USAID & LEAF: General Guidance Series and Tools
a) USAID Carbon Calculator
- This tool allows users to systematically estimate the CO2 benefits and consequent climate impacts of agriculture, forestry and other land use (AFOLU) programs worldwide. Emission reductions and removals can be quantified at the sub-national and project level for: forest protection, forest management, afforestation/reforestation, agroforestry, crop management and grazing management.(The Carbon Calculator was not developed under LEAF, but is a key reporting tool used by LEAF to estimate emissions avoided or removed).
b) South and South East REDD+ Atlas, Version 1
- The LEAF Atlas provides a standardized source of information for South and Southeast Asia region by presenting a comprehensive collection of the most relevant and current datasets. The Atlas serves as a resource to a range of stakeholders who are working in, forestry, land use, and climate change in the region.
c) LEAF Gender Mainstreaming Strategy & Checklist
- This document presents LEAF's gender integration strategy along with a checklist to implement and monitor gender issues in LEAF programming. It serves as a guide for project managers and project teams to better mainstream gender into REDD+ and climate change mitigation interventions.
d) International experience with REDD+ and national forest funds
- This paper presents a comparative analysis of the operational aspects of eight existing national and regional REDD+, climate change, and forest protection funds.Vietnamese version http://www.leafasia.org/library/international-experience-redd-and-national-forest-funds-vietnamese
e) Guidelines for Low Emission Land use Planning
- Using the global LEDS framework, these guidelines are produced specifically for the AFOLU sectors and will provide guidance and the integration of a range of tools to develop REDD+ strategy documents or low emissions plans for AFOLU.
f) Decision Support Tool: Integrated REDD+ accounting frameworks: Nested national approaches
- This decision support tool provides overall guidance on establishing national-level REDD+ accounting frameworks within which project or subnational approaches are integrated.
g) Participatory Carbon Monitoring: Operational Guidance for National REDD+ Carbon Accounting
- This operational guidance document describes functional roles of stakeholders at different levels: national, subnational, and local; and how these roles can complement each other and combine to contribute to GHG accounting under a national REDD+ programme.
Technical Guidance Series and Tools on Reference Level Development and Forest Carbon Monitoring
a) Reference Level Framework Document
- A framework document outlining the overall technical framework for Reference Level (RL) development and Terrestrial Carbon Monitoring System implementation.
The following modules focus on deforestation, but further modules will be developed to describe degradation activities.
a) Module: Activity Data for Deforestation
- Provides guidance for estimating the Activity Data (AD) for deforestation using previously developed spatially explicit datasets.
b)Module: Emission Factors for Deforestation
- This module describes the steps necessary to create Emission Factors (EF) for deforestation using existing carbon stock data.
c)Module: Estimating Historical Emissions from Deforestation
- Provides guidance for estimating historical emissions (tCO2e.yr-1) from deforestation based on developed EF and AD.
d) Module: Calculations for Estimating Carbon Stocks
- This module describes the calculations necessary to estimate carbon stocks and their uncertainty, based on field data collected in a Terrestrial Carbon Monitoring System for REDD+.
e) Reference Level Training Video
- LEAF has developed three training videos as part of its technical Reference Level training series. The videos demonstrate the use of ArcGIS and IDRISI software to link historical activity data to deforestation drivers (video 1), forest carbon stratification (video 2), and forest carbon sampling design and plot distribution (video 3).
Based on the above technical guidance series, 5 key reports have been produced to support the development of the Lam Dong Province (Vietnam) Provincial REDD+ Action Plan
a) Accuracy Assessment for Forest and Land Use Maps (English version)
- http://www.leafasia.org/library/usaid-leaf-accuracy-assessment-forest-and-land-use-maps-english-version Vietnamese version:
b) Analysis of the raw data of sample plots in NFIMAP Cycle IV (English version)
c) Land use, Forest cover change and historical GHG Emissions (English version)
- http://www.leafasia.org/library/usaid-leaf-land-use-forest-cover-change-and-historical-ghg-emission-english-version Vietnamese version: http://www.leafasia.org/library/usaid-leaf-land-use-forest-cover-change-and-historical-ghg-emission-vietnamese-version
d)Establishment of Forest Status Maps (English version)
- http://www.leafasia.org/library/usaid-leaf-establishment-forest-status-maps-english-version Vietnamese version: http://www.leafasia.org/library/usaid-leaf-establishment-forest-status-maps-vietnamese-version
e) Establishing a Reference Level for REDD+ (English version)
Terrestrial Carbon Standard Operating Procedures Terrestrial_Carbon_Standard_Operating_Procedures
- English Version
http://leafasia.org/tools/terrestrial-carbon-measurement-sop-english Vietnamese Version http://www.leafasia.org/tools/terrestrial-carbon-measurement-sop-vietnamese This manual provides standardized field measurements, based on proven field methods, for quantifying carbon emissions and removals from changes land use and management, to provide confidence in results of climate mitigation activities on the land.
Carbon Stock Calculation Tool Manual_Carbon_Stock_Calculation_Tool
- This tool calculates carbon stocks based on field measurements taken on the five carbon pools. Outcomes are summed across all plots and all pools to provide an estimate of tons of CO2e per hectare.
Estimating Carbon Emissions Factors from Selective Logging Estimating_Carbon_Emissions_Factors_from_Selective_Logging
- This tools estimates emissions from selective logging operations.
LEDS AFOLU Working Group, Global Environment Centre, 2nd Floor, Wisma Hing, 78, Jalan SS2/72, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor DE, MALAYSIA. Phone: + 603 7957 2007, Fax: + 603 7957 7003
E-mails: AFOLU WG Secretariat firstname.lastname@example.org