International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV
In the framework of the Petersberg Climate Dialogue in May 2010 in Bonn/Germany, South Africa, South Korea and Germany launched the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV. The overall aim of the Partnership is to support a practical exchange on mitigation-related activities and MRV between developing and developed countries in order to help close the global ambition gap.
To this end, the activities of the Partnership contribute to the design and effective implementation of
- Low-Emission Development Strategies’ (LEDS),
- Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions’ (NAMAs) and
- Measuring, Reporting and Verification’ (MRV) systems
Bringing together climate experts from a variety of countries, the Partnership seeks to:
- foster mutual learning between peers
- identify best practices
- establish a shared mitigation-related knowledge base
- disseminate lessons learnt
This in turn contributes to the building of trust, capacity and expertise, allowing countries to find nationally appropriate solutions to address and combat climate change.