Exploratory Well At Long Valley Caldera Geothermal Area (Sorey, 1985)
From Open Energy Information
Exploration Activity: Exploratory Well At Long Valley Caldera Geothermal Area (Sorey, 1985)
|Exploration Activity Details|
|Location||Long Valley Caldera Geothermal Area|
|Exploration Technique||Exploratory Well|
|Activity Date||1976 - 1985|
The given value was not understood.Additional drilling activities continued between 1976 and 1985. Several of these holes were full-size wells, including:
- The (Unocal) Mammoth-1 well, drilled by Union Oil Company in 1979 at Casa Diablo to 1605 m depth, with maximum encountered temperature of 152.7°C at 121m but a temperature of 102.2°C at TD
- The Clay Pit 1 (CP-1) well also drilled by Union Oil Company in 1979 into the Resurgent Dome to 1799 m depth, with maximum encountered temperatures of 147.8°C
- Wells 68-28 and 13-26, drilled by Santa Fe Geothermal Inc. on the Resurgent Dome after 1980 (temperature, lithology, structural data, and specific completion dates for these wells were unavailable for the purposes of this review).
The (Unocal) Mammoth-1 well was the first well drilled at Casa Diablo to test the deep production potential from the intracaldera Bishop Tuff and caldera basement. It was also the first well to intersect the metasedimentary landslide block at 466 m depth beneath the caldera's southern moat, a tumultuous mix of metapelite and granite that separates the Early Rhyolite reservoir from the underlying Bishop Tuff.
- Michael L. Sorey (1985) Present State of the Hydrothermal System in Long Valley Caldera, California
- Michael L. Sorey, Gene A. Suemnicht, Neil C. Sturchio, Gregg A. Nordquist (December 1991) New Evidence On The Hydrothermal System In Long Valley Caldera, California, From Wells, Fluid Sampling, Electrical Geophysics, And Age Determinations Of Hot-Spring Deposits
- Gene A. Suemnicht (1987) Results of Deep Drilling in the Western Moat of Long Valley, California
- Gene A. Suemnicht, Bastien Poux (2012) Long Valley Caldera Field Trip Log
- Michael L. Sorey. 1985. Present State of the Hydrothermal System in Long Valley Caldera, California. In: Transactions. GRC Annual Meeting; 08/26/1985; Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. Kailua-Kona, Hawaii: Geothermal Resources Council; p. 485-490
- Michael L. Sorey,Gene A. Suemnicht,Neil C. Sturchio,Gregg A. Nordquist. 12/1991. New Evidence On The Hydrothermal System In Long Valley Caldera, California, From Wells, Fluid Sampling, Electrical Geophysics, And Age Determinations Of Hot-Spring Deposits. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 48(3-4):229-263.