Environmental Impact and Sustainability Applied General Equilibrium Model (ENVISAGE)
ENVISAGE is a recursive dynamic multi-sector, multi-region CGE model. Its emissions and climate module links economic activities directly to changes in global mean temperature. The model also links changes in temperature to impacts on economic variables such as agricultural yields or damages created by sea level rise. Issues analyzed include the economics of climate change, impact of climate change on economy, adaptation to climate change, and distributional consequences of climate change.
When to Use This Tool
This tool is most useful for development impacts assessments focused on:
Learn more about the topics for assessing the impacts of low-emission development strategies (LEDS).
Various quantitative outputs regarding:
- Baseline emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases
- Impacts of climate change on the economy
- Impacts of adaptation by economic agents to climate change
- Impacts of greenhouse gas mitigation policies, e.g., taxes, cap-and-trade
- The role of land use in future emissions and mitigation
- The distributional consequences of climate change impacts, adaptation and mitigation at the national and household level.
How to Use This Tool
No formal training, documentation provided; Knowledge on Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) recommended
Level of Expertise
The core database, which includes energy volumes and CO2 emissions, is the Global Trade Analysis Project (GTAP) database, currently version 7.0 with a 2004 base year