Environmental Assessment (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
|Applies to States or Provinces||Saskatchewan|
|Name||Environmental Assessment (Saskatchewan, Canada)|
|Policy Category||Other Policy|
|Policy Type||Environmental Regulations|
|Affected Technologies||Biomass/Biogas, Coal with CCS, Concentrating Solar Power, Energy Storage, Geothermal Electric, Hydroelectric, Hydroelectric (Small), Natural Gas, Nuclear, Solar Photovoltaics, Wind energy|
|Implementing Sector|| State/Province
|Program Administrator||Saskatchewan Ministry of the Environment|
|Primary Website|| http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/EnvironmentalAssessment
|Last Review|| 2014-09-05
Saskatchewan's Environmental Assessment program is designed to systematically evaluate the ecological, socio-economic and cultural aspects of development within a single framework so that the real costs and tradeoffs at stake in a particular situation can be fully understood.
The Environmental Assessment Act requires that a proposed project receives the approval of the Minister of Environment before proceeding with a development that is likely to have significant environmental implications.
The Act defines 'development' to mean any project, operation or activity, or any alteration or expansion of any project, operation or activity, which is likely to:
• Have an effect on any unique, rare or endangered feature of the environment;
• Substantially utilize any provincial resource, and in doing so, preempt the use, or potential use, of that resource for any other purpose;
• Cause the emission of any pollutants or create by-products, residual or waste products which require handling and disposal in a manner that is not regulated by any other Act or regulation;
• Cause widespread public concern because of potential environmental changes;
• Involve a new technology that is concerned with resource utilization and that may induce significant environmental change; or
• Have a significant impact on the environment or necessitate a further development which is likely to have a significant impact on the environment.
|Contact Name||Applications Manager|
|Department||Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment|
|Division||Environmental Assessment Branch|
|Address||4th Floor, 3211 Albert Street|
|Zip/Postal Code||S4S 5W6|
Authorities (Please contact the if there are any file problems.)
|Authority 1:||The Environmental Assessment Act|
|Date Enacted|| 1979-80