Egypt-NREL Energy Activities
NREL, in partnership with USAID, has cooperated with the Egyptian government on a number of activities to promote clean energy development. Some of these activities included:
- Obtaining agreement of Egyptian General Petroleum Company, operator of refineries to pursue refinery retrofit at one of facilities
- Recruited and developed Egyptian ESCO partner, ESCO Misr, for refinery project Developed partnership with Nexant/Cairo to provide in-country support
U.S.-Egypt Science and Technology Joint Board
- Organized workshop on hybrid renewable power systems for desert agriculture
- Generated significant interest among Egyptian government, academic, and U.S. partner.
Renewable and Hybrid Systems for Agriculture
- Develop refined economic analysis and demonstration of hybrid renewable power systems for desert agriculture.
Industrial Energy Efficiency
- Organize trade missions, reverse trade missions, and other events to facilitate U.S.-Egyptian commercial partnerships in the ESCO area.
Large Scale Grid Connected Wind
Pursued emerging opportunities based on developments:
- Danish development agency (DANIDA) installing 40 additional MW at Zafarana windfarm on the Red Sea.
- US Export-Import bank interested in details of mixed credit arrangement, to make case for matching those terms
- World bank interested in working with NREL to assess how grid-connected wind fits in Egypt’s expansion plan.
Certification and training collaboration with NREA.
- New and Renewable Energy Authority expressed interest in this area after seeing CDER in Marrakech.
- Could include a range of certification, training, staff exchanges, and other capacity- building activities.