CRiSTAL V5 helps users to:
- understand the livelihoods and climate context of a community or area of interest;
- screen existing project activities to assess their impacts on livelihood resources that are important to climate adaptation, and revise these activities accordingly;
- plan new project activities that support climate adaptation; and
- support M&E. The list of revised or new project activities contributes directly to step B in both the adaptation planning process and the project cycle. However, there are other links—that is to say, information gathered to establish the livelihoods and climate context in CRiSTAL can contribute to a risk assessment, as well as establish a monitoring and evaluation system.
When to Use This Tool
This tool is most useful for development impacts assessments focused on:
Learn more about the topics for assessing the impacts of low-emission development strategies (LEDS).
Applying CRiSTAL leads to three main outputs:
- List of livelihood resources that are most affected by climate hazards and most important for responding to climate impacts.
- Proposed adjustments to existing projects and new activities to support climate adaptation.
- List of desired adaptation outcomes and important influencing factors to be monitored.
How to Use This Tool
No training required, introduction to tool included in graphical user interface.
Level of Expertise
Livelihoods Context, Climate risk, Gender and Diversity
Examples of how CRiSTAL VS has helped people assessing the impacts of low-emission development strategies in countries and regions:
A list of case studies featured here: http://www.iisd.org/cristaltool/experiences.aspx