Brazil-GTZ Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Programme
GTZ is working with Brazil on this program with the following objective: "The role of renewable energy sources and energy efficiency in Brazil's energy supply is strengthened." Key products will include improvement of institutional capacities and processes, improvement of the implementation of mechanisms to promote RE and EE, improvement of energy planning procedures in selected sectors.
"The energy programme comprises four components:
- Energy efficiency
- Renewable energy sources
- Rural electrification
- Energy planning methods
As complementary measures, two other projects are also being conducted on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU):
- The 1000 Roofs Project supports the spread of solar-thermal water heating.
- The CDM JI Initiative promotes the involvement of German companies in Brazil's CDM market. The CDM JI Initiative relates to the climate protection instruments known as the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and Joint Implementation (JI).
This leads to mutually productive connections between the private sector and development policy.
The programme employs a multi-level approach:
- Public-sector actors in the energy sector such as Eletrobrás, EPE, ANEEL and ONS and private sector associations or promotional and development banks such as BNDES and Caixa are supported in helping programmes be successful. This is the focus of the programme.
- Households and individual companies are integrated in various innovative pilot and promotional measures being conducted in Brazil.
- The results from these measures are incorporated in the political discussion and coordination processes in, for example, the Brazilian Ministry of Energy. Likewise, gender equality is also promoted in the implementation of programmes.
This programme is being executed in close collaboration with KfW Entwicklungsbank. It supports the development of a safe and sustainable energy system, which in turn avoids greenhouse gas emissions, reduces technological risks and strengthens markets for sustainable energy services."
Further information can be accessed at the project website.