Renewable Energy Grant Program (Alaska)
(Redirected from Alaska Energy Authority - Renewable Energy Grant Program (Alaska))
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
Financial Incentive Program
|Name||Renewable Energy Grant Program|
|Incentive Type||State Grant Program|
|Applicable Sector||Commercial, Local Government, Utility, Tribal Government, Only Available for In-State Projects|
|Eligible Technologies||Solar Water Heat, Photovoltaics, Landfill Gas, Wind, Biomass, Hydroelectric, Geothermal Electric, Fuel Cells, Geothermal Heat Pumps, CHP/Cogeneration, Anaerobic Digestion, Tidal Energy, Wave Energy, Fuel Cells using Renewable Fuels|
|Energy Category||Renewable Energy Incentive Programs|
|Funding Source|| State appropriation
|Program Administrator||Alaska Energy Authority|
|References||DSIREDatabase of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency|
In May 2008, Alaska enacted legislation authorizing the creation of a renewable energy grant fund. The legislation recommended that the Alaska Energy Authority (AEA) administer the program. The grant program is intended to provide assistance to utilities, independent power producers, local governments, and tribal governments for feasibility studies, reconnaissance studies, energy resource monitoring, and work related to the design and construction of eligible facilities. In order to be eligible for a grant, a project must be located within Alaska and be a new project not in operation on Augusty 20, 2008, or an addition to an existing project made after the same date. Projects should be constructed and operated for the public benefit. The list of eligible technologies includes solar, wind, geothermal, hydrothermal, certain types of biomass, biogas, wave, tidal, waste heat utilization, river in-stream power, and hydropower. Also eligible are: fuel cells that use hydrogen generated from an eligible renewable resource or natural gas; certain natural gas projects located in small communities; and, electricity or natural gas transmission and distribution infrastructure projects that link an eligible project to related infrastructure.
The AEA will not actually approve projects; it will issue recommendations to the state legislature, which will make funding decisions. The AEA evaluates projects on the public benefit of the project using an economic model for consistent parameters and assumptions between projects. There is usually one round of funding per fiscal year, and the first solicitation took place in September 2008. The most recent solicitation, Round VIII, closed on September 22, 2014. Solicitations accepted during one fiscal year are funded in the following fiscal year.
The original enabling legislation stated an intention to provide $50 million in funding annually to the program for five years. HB 250 (2012) extended that intention to provide $50 million in funding annually for each of the 10 fiscal years until the program expires on June 30, 2023, but this amount is subject to legislative appropriation. Through FY 2014, the legislature has authorized $250.3 million in grants. The allocation plan recommends that 20% of the funding go to reconnaissance, feasibility and resource studies, and the remaining 80% be awarded to final design, permitting and construction projects. In 2013, AEA also established a target allocation for heat projects to compose 30 percent of the total funding recommendation. AEA has put forth the following funding limits per grant:
- Reconnaissance, and Feasibility and Design studies: 20% of anticipated construction costs, not to exceed $2 million
- Final Design, Permitting, Construction and Commissioning: $4 million per project in "Low Energy Cost Areas" and $8 million in High Energy Cost Areas
Applications with matching funds will be looked upon favorably.
See the program web site for additional details, including information on funding and eligibility questions.
Authorities (Please contact the if there are any file problems.)
|Authority 1:||A.S. 42.45.045|
|Date Enacted|| 2008-05-22
|Authority 2:||H.B. 152|
|Date Enacted|| 2008-05-22
|Authority 3:||H.B. 250|
- Incentive and policy data are reviewed and approved by the N.C. Solar Center's DSIRE project staff.
- "Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency" Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "DSIRE" defined multiple times with different content