United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
ESCWA IN THE UNITED NATIONS SYSTEM
ESCWA forms part of the United Nations Secretariat and, like the other regional commissions, operates under the supervision of the United Nations Economic and Social Council."
"The objectives of ESCWA are:
- To support economic and social development in the countries of the region;
- To promote cooperation between the countries of the region;
- To encourage interaction between member countries and promote the exchange of experience, best practice and lessons learnt;
- To achieve regional integration between member countries;
- To ensure interaction between Western Asia and other regions of the world, familiarizing the outside world with the circumstances and needs of the countries in the region."
"ESCWA provides a framework for the formulation and harmonization of sectoral policies for member countries, a platform for congress and coordination, a home for expertise and knowledge, and an information observatory. ESCWA activities are coordinated with the divisions and main offices of the Headquarters of the United Nations, specialized agencies, and international and regional organizations, including the League of Arab States, the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, and the Gulf Cooperation Council."