Solar+Storage/Impact of Load Profile
From Open Energy Information
Impact of Load Profile on Solar+Storage Economics
- Which building types have the most peaks in electricity use?
- Do buildings with variable loads get more savings from solar+storage?
- Can a building with a flat electricity load see savings from a solar+storage system?
- Secondary schools, office buildings and retail stores have the most variation in electrical loads.
- Variability in building load over the course of the year does NOT impact expected savings from solar and/or storage systems. Buildings with high variability in demand (“peaky load profiles”) are not more likely to benefit from solar with storage more than buildings with flat load profiles.
- As technology prices decline, solar+storage systems may yield savings for most commercial building types, despite the amount of variation in load profile.