Indiana Oversize/Overweight Permit (6-IN-a)
Oversize/Overweight Permit Process
6-IN-a.1 to 6-IN-a.2 – Is the Load or Vehicle Non-Divisible Exceeding Legal Dimensions?
Generally, if the developer’s load or vehicle is non-divisible and exceeds the legal dimension allowed the developer must obtain an Oversize/Overload Permit from IDOT. I.C. § 9-20-1; Indiana Department of Revenue – Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permitting Handbook at 4.
A non-divisible load is “…any load or vehicle exceeding applicable length or weight limits, which, if separated into smaller loads or vehicles, would:
- Compromise the intended use of the vehicle, i.e., make it unable to perform the function for which it was intended;
- Destroy the value of the load or vehicle, i.e., make it unusable for its intended purpose; or
- Require more than 8 work hours to dismantle using appropriate equipment.”
An Oversize-Overweight Permit is, generally, required for any non-divisible load that exceeds the following legal dimensions in Indiana:
- 13 feet 6 inches in height; or
- 8 feet 6 inches in width; or
- 40 feet in length for a single vehicle; or
- 60 feet in length for a two-vehicle combination. If a two-vehicle combination is connected by a fifth wheel hook-up, there is not an overall length limit, but your trailer and load length cannot exceed 53 feet.
- 80,000 pounds gross vehicle weight; or
- 12,000 pounds on the steering axle; or
- 20,000 pounds on a single axle; or
- 34,000 pounds on a tandem axle; or
- 800 pounds per inch of rim width and subject to the above axle weights.
Note: There are two exceptions to the rule of non-divisible loads, as stated in I.C. § 9-20-5-3 for certain highways in Indiana designated as extra heavy-duty highways. Indiana Department of Revenue – Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permitting Handbook at 4.
6-IN-a.3 – Oversize/Overweight Transporting Company Agreement (Form M-203)
The developer must first submit a complete Oversize/Overweight Transporting Company Agreement (Form M-203) (“Agreement”) to IDOT’s Motor Carrier Services or set up an Oversize/Overweight Transporting Account (OSW Account) on the Indiana Department of Revenue – Motor Carrier Services Website to submit the form electronically. Indiana Department of Revenue – Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permitting Handbook at 7; Indiana Department of Revenue – Ordering an Oversize-Overweight Permit Webpage.
6-IN-a.4 to 6-IN-a.5 – Process Oversize/Overweight Transporting Company Agreement
IDOT will process the Oversize/Overweight Transporting Company Agreement (Form M-203) for registration within 24 hours of receipt and then provide the developer with a company identification number. Indiana Department of Revenue – Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permitting Handbook at 8.
6-IN-a.6 – Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permit Application (Form M-233)
After receipt of the company identification number, the developer must submit a Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permit Application (Form M-233) (“Application”) with IDOT. The Application must include, at minimum, the following:
- The developer’s name, address and contact information;
- Vehicle information, including the license plate number and the load serial number;
- Vehicle description and dimensions;
- The type of permit required (e.g., Oversize -90 Day Trip, Oversize-Annual, Oversize and/or Overweight Permit, etc.); and
- A description of the route to be traveled.
6-IN-a.7 to 6-IN-a.8 – Review Application Materials for Completeness
After receipt, IDOT will review the Application materials for administrative and technical completeness. If the Application is incomplete, IDOT may notify the developer to provide additional information.
6-IN-a.9 to 6-IN-a.10 – Review Application for Approval
IDOT will then review the Application for approval. IDOT will analyze the proposed load and route before making a final decision.
6-IN-a.11 – Oversize/Overweight Permit
If approved the developer must abide to the conditions of the Permit.
6-IN-a.12 – Appeal Decision (Optional)
An interested party may appeal an action by IDEM within thirty (30) days after the date of notice of the agency’s decision. I.C. §§ 4-21.5-5-4(a) – 5.
Suggest a contact using the Feedback button above.Suggest edits using the Feedback button above.
- Indiana Code – I.C. §§ 4-21.5 et seq., State Offices and Administration
- Indiana Code – I.C. §§ 9-20 et seq., Size and Weight Regulation
- Federal Regulation – 23 C.F.R. §§ 658 et seq. – Width and Weight Limitations
- Indiana Admin. Code – 105 I.A.C. §§ 10 et seq., Oversize and Overweight Vehicular Permits for Highways
- Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permit Application (Form M-233)
- Indiana Department of Revenue – Oversize-Overweight Vehicle Permitting Handbook
- Indiana Department of Revenue – Ordering an Oversize-Overweight Permit Webpage
- Indiana Department of Revenue – Motor Carrier Services Website
- Indiana Department of Revenue – Oversize-Overweight Transporting Company Agreement (Form M-203)